Sunday 20 November 2011

mo cookies

in the spirit of movember, in which countless men grow their 'staches to both raise awareness for prostate cancer and entice the ladies, my friends and I held a movember party. for this party, I luckily found some moustache-shaped cookie cutters to make some treats.


since I had to make cut-out cookies, and didn't want to do something boring like plain sugar cookies, I decided to look into something more exotic. chocolate shortbread was something I was looking into, but with one secret ingredient..... cayenne pepper!


I used this shortbread recipe and added the cayenne myself (about 1/2 tsp). I omitted the pink pepper, but   also added 1 tsp of cinnamon. Instead of the cacao nibs, I finely chopped a bar of dark chocolate (to measure about 1/4 cup) and added that as well. I also recommend not baking these for the full 20 minutes the recipe calls for, because my first batch burnt within 15. I found that 10-12 minutes was about perfect.

....and they were perfect! dark, chocolatey, rich, and just when I thought I should have added more cayenne, BAM the warmth and spice of it comes in strong at the end (but isn't overwhelming). I can't wait to make these again (probably included in christmas baking.)

obviously they were a hit at the party :) (see cookie models below)



No comments:

Post a Comment