Saturday 14 April 2012

Vanilla Latte Jelly Shots

I'm not a vodka fan. As I've explained to several people I believe every person goes through phases with different types of alcohol in a set order. Vodka is the first for girls (after cheap 4% coolers). It is the high school don't-get-caught, first year wasted, 'white girl drunk' drink. No self respecting adult's drink of choice is vodka. However, I am instantly drawn to anything cake-related... I even bought cake tea last week. So when I saw all these drink recipes involving "cake vodka" I was intrigued. I did some research and found out it was only available at some places in the US, so you can imagine my shock & awe when walking into the glebe LCBO yesterday and there it was; a giant sign announcing it's arrival...

Naturally, they were sold out.
But, instead I picked up their "whipped cream" flavour. Sounds disgusting. Tastes awesome. And that's not just me trying really hard to justify the money spent, it actually tastes good, however I'm unsure of possible mixes (orange juice? creamsicle drinks...?)

Anyways! For our girls night last night I decided to experiment with it and made some vanilla latte jello shots. They tasted good, considering I just made it up as I went...but didn't come out of the molds as easily as expected. Next time- either more oil or paper cups!

Ingredients
2 cups of cold, strongly brewed coffee, made as sweet and as milky as desired (perhaps a bit more than usual to cover the burn of the vodka?... I added quite a bit of milk, hence the latte name)
2 tbsp heavy cream
1 tbsp condensed milk
2 packets unflavoured gelatin (knox)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whipped cream vodka

Topping
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
dash of vanilla
sprinkles... if desired

1. Combine coffee, cream, vanilla and condensed milk in a saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let sit for about 5 minutes.
2. On a low heat, stir the mixture until all the gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat and add vodka.
3. Pour mixture into WELL OILED molds, paper cups, pan, or anything really. Let it set in the fridge for at least 1 1/2 hours.
4. If desired, you can add a cute topping. Combine heavy cream, icing sugar, vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form. Dollop or pipe swirls on top of the shooters and sprinkle with... well, sprinkles.



As a warning, eating them too fast may get you white-girl drunk. Tara was classy about it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment